Gratitude is more than just being thankful – it is showing that thankfulness in measurable ways. Gratitude not only helps us stay in tune with what makes us happy and what motivates us, but it is also a great way to show others that you see them and are there to support them, especially during challenging times.
While showing gratitude can look different for everyone, below are some measurable ways to demonstrate your gratitude for an essential worker in your life:
- Create a sign and display it to show your loved one and others that you support and love someone who is in the trenches during the pandemic.
- Send flowers or a thoughtful card to let them know you are thinking of them.
- Donate a meal or a sweet snack for them to enjoy at the end of a long day. If you are financially able to, consider sending meals to their team or coworkers for them to enjoy together while they take breaks from their demanding days, or consider setting up a community meal train.
- Show kindness. Kindness is one of the most powerful forms of gratitude that we can show. During these stressful times, a small act of kindness can go a long way into helping someone overcome a tough day or a difficult moment. Giving a compliment, providing a listening ear, or giving a hug (if you can and it is safe to do so) can really transform a person’s day, especially now.
- Don’t underestimate the power of saying thank you. Saying thank you regularly will show the essential worker(s) in your life that you are thinking of them and that you are grateful for what they do each day.
When we take the time to show our gratitude to essential workers during the pandemic, we are showing our solidarity during a time when it matters most. Take some time today to intentionally show an essential worker in your life that you are grateful for them. You may find that it brightens your day as well as theirs.