Before making the commitment to get engaged, it’s important for you and your partner to be on the same page! Have an open and honest conversation about what you both want for your relationship in the future.
Some things you may discuss include:
- What are your expectations for one another and for the relationship?
- Do you want kids? If so, how do you want to raise them?
- Where do you want to live?
- What are your dreams for the future and how will you support one another in those dreams?
- How will you manage your finances?
- What does healthy communication and conflict resolution look like in your relationship?
- How will you handle life challenges?
- How will you manage relationships with extended family, especially during moments of conflict?
These are just some questions you may discuss with your partner when deciding if marriage is what you want and if you’re ready to get engaged. Remember, this conversation will look different for every couple, and it won’t just be a one-time thing. It’s important to keep the conversation about the future of your relationship open and ongoing as you and your partner continue to move through life together.